Free Copernisis Search

The free Copernisis search

Re: Free Copernisis Search

Postby kitkit » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:08 pm

has anyone found this one yet, i've been up all the hills in the area and looked in a variety of places, but still no coin!
kitkit
Isis Ramisis 5%

Postby anash27 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:01 am

OH NO! I think I need help. After returning to the forum yesterday for the first time in absolutely ages I can feel the old Isis Adventure addiction growing inside.

I took a look at this free search. Unfortunately a bit to far for me to travel but would like to share my thoughts.

The trig point and therefore the hill was relatively easy to find so I'll leave people with something to do. The "diamonds (geezer) found in 3 wheeler" is surely a referrence to the trotters? In particular Rodney?

Just some thoughts that might help or hinder. LOL

Ade
anash27
Need A Social Life

Postby Toxophilite » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:58 pm

Has anyone been brave enough to look on the upper level of the monument. I think between us we have covered all the nooks and crannies on the base. The other coin at the same location was very high up on the base section. Take a ladder with you :D

I got there quite early after it was posted and got quite a lot of rubbish out of the sighting holes on the trig point and that didn't look as though it had been disturbed in years. The rock around the base is pretty smooth with no sizeable cracks or fissures. So I reckon its either in a tree or near the toposcope. The geocache is aparently under a rock near the toposcope.
Toxophilite
Isis Ramisis Copernisis 5%

Postby anash27 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:20 am

Toxophilite wrote:Has anyone been brave enough to look on the upper level of the monument. I think between us we have covered all the nooks and crannies on the base. The other coin at the same location was very high up on the base section. Take a ladder with you :D

I got there quite early after it was posted and got quite a lot of rubbish out of the sighting holes on the trig point and that didn't look as though it had been disturbed in years. The rock around the base is pretty smooth with no sizeable cracks or fissures. So I reckon its either in a tree or near the toposcope. The geocache is aparently under a rock near the toposcope.

Knowing Mr Reeves I would say that a ladder may be required, he doesn't like ot make things easy you know.

Ade
anash27
Need A Social Life

Postby kitkit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:57 pm

to get up to the top level would be very dangerous, and to get a ladder up there would be a feat in itself. although the temptation now to go have a look is very strong!
kitkit
Isis Ramisis 5%

Postby kitkit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:56 pm

I'm going to post everything i've found with this one... it's bugging me badly cuz we've done 3 trips now and still nothing :(

First trip: we searched all over the pillar, trig point and even the geocache and the motor memorial up there.

Second trip: we looked more into the Criggion radio mast bit.. there's a winch station on Breidden Hill... the masts were there for 60 years (diamond?) and supplied signals for the navy - admiral rodney reference. also found this:

but we couldn't really get to the hill top anchorage/winch house due to the land being private/owned by the quarry.. though maybe if we'd ignored the signs and climbed over the gate! there are all the buildings below the hill but we've not looked into them.

Third trip: we looked more into the clue and decided to try another hill in the range (3 of them by the way!). Moel y Golfa has a memorial to 2 Gypsy Kings.. thought maybe the diamond reference was to do with this, as there's plaques telling about how good these people were, teaching and helping others.. diamond geezers? plus their ashes are scattered around the memorial..
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/881056

but we searched all over the memorial and still couldn't find anything.. noticed it's made of 3 blocks of granite too.. hopefully this will trigger some kind of revelation or more ideas about where it could be hidden! :)
kitkit
Isis Ramisis 5%

Postby Toxophilite » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:23 pm

Blimey that's some very impressive research.

Personally I don't think it will be that complicated. It will be on the hill where the trig point in the photo is. I think diamond is just a reference to Cockneys (diamond geezers) in a Reliant Robin and maybe also Rocks (slang for diamonds).

I agree that getting on to the monument could be very dangerous (and probably illegal) but it is feasible if he had an agile accomplice standing on his shoulders and I wouldn't put it past him. Someone well over six foot would struggle to reach that upper ledge, even standing on the brickwork, and when its wet the rock around the base can be treacherous.

Maybe a flash card camcorder on a tripod could be used to track along the upper level to see if there is a viable hiding place up there.

Were there any cryptic clues in the geocache?
Toxophilite

Postby kitkit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:35 pm

hmm i don't know.. to me it seems to easy too have the picture clue as well as the written clue. we have also looked into the geocache, to see if there was maybe a Sonic Warp or Isis Geocoin, but nothing obvious. The original cache had desert diamonds in it, and we looked through the log and nothing suspicious or cryptic :?
just would've expected the free searches to get harder as the puzzles get harder!
kitkit
Isis Ramisis 5%

Postby Toxophilite » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:44 pm

The coins are normally placed where they aren't going to be disturbed by kids, and that usually means putting them somewhere reasonably high, off the beaten track or packing them in a hole with some undesirable gunge.

Under a big heavy rock might be another possibility, or a knot hole in a tree.
Toxophilite

Postby kitkit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Do you mean onto the very top or the first ledge about ten foot up?
kitkit
Isis Ramisis 5%

Postby Toxophilite » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:49 pm

The top of the base where the column starts (yeah about 10 foot).

No I wasn't suggesting climbing up the column, unless you really want to :D
Toxophilite

Postby kitkit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:56 pm

lol! that'd be quite impressive to do! especially with how windy it can get up there! maybe i can get the other half to don his climbing shoes and get up on that first ledge! he'll probably see this.. he uses my account quite a bit to look at the free searches and has commented on this thread a couple times. He really wants to find one himself!
kitkit
Isis Ramisis 5%

Postby Toxophilite » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:01 pm

Just looking at some pictures of that ledge, it's made up of thick slabs with mortar between them so there is potentially a hiding place where the mortar has perished.

Again worth checking out with a camcorder on a 'pole'. I've got an old fashioned lightweight telescopic tripod that would have been ideal, wish I thought of it when I was up there.
Toxophilite

Postby kitkit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:11 pm

yeah cuz we can reach the bottom of this incut on the pillar, just whether it's been used to reach higher up. We've got a camera on a tripod but it's a bit awkward cuz we can only get there by motorbike now (the 3rd time we went, we went by bike which was a bit interesting!) and despite the good weather, we can't get up there this weekend :( may try for the following weekend if someone hasn't beaten us!
sorry forgot the pic

kitkit
Isis Ramisis 5%

Postby Toxophilite » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:16 pm

Just had one more thought, I was looking at the pictures I took when I found the Ramisis coin and there are some cracks in that bit that forms the overhang just below the slabs of the ledge. In fact its probably wishfull thinking but it looks like there is another coin about a foot higher from where I found the Ramisis coin. Perhaps he hid the coins at the same time, with the intention of releasing the clue at a later stage.
Maybe he managed to push the coin into such a crack with a stick.
Toxophilite

PreviousNext

Return to The Copernisis Search